Thursday, November 22, 2012

Mirrors of the Father's Love

This week I’ve had the chance to spend time with my 93 year old grandfather. This is the first time that I had been to see him since he had a series of strokes and had been admitted into a rehabilitation facility. As we turned the corner and his eyes met mine, he wept. We got to him; he took my hand and brushed it gently against his cheek saying, “I’ve been waiting all day for you.” It was such a beautifully tender, yet overwhelming moment that I could tell God was present. I couldn’t help but think about how the Father places people and allows moments in our lives to show how he loves us.


I imagine that this is how our Father waits for us. He is so patient; his patience knowing no bounds, he waits in anticipation of our arrival. He seeks us and waits for us. When we turn to Him or arrive…when we face Him, he rejoices. Every time we visit our Father, he rejoices and celebrates. He doesn’t make us feel guilty for being gone so long or for not talking to him for such a long time. He just listens to all we have to say and draws us close. There, of course, are times that he will want to address what is getting between us, but that will come. Primarily, at first, he just wants to be with us. To love us.

I’m thankful today for these past few days of just being with my grandfather. I’ve been reminded of how profoundly beautiful, deep and, yet, how simple and basic our Father’s love is for us. We get so busy, absentminded, and lazy. We make it so difficult, but it isn’t.
This visit has reminded me that every day is a gift and opportunity to grow closer to our Father through prayer or just by spending time with those he sent to us as mirrors of his love.


No comments:

Post a Comment