Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Brewed to Perfection


When I think about the Father’s love, sometimes, I’m surprised. Other times I’m moved. Because I can be so choosy with my love, the fact that my Father loves me so incredibly can be difficult to take in. Just plain hard to swallow. It’s not that I don't want his love. I do. I mean I can't live without it…she types selfishly… But if I am to accept his love, let him love me, something has to change. I have to allow him in and love others through me and this allowing love to flow through is not for the faint of heart. It calls for us to love with His love. Love that doesn’t ask for anything in return. And, it calls for us to love ourselves. I read the lives of the Saints, and I think, "Yeah! That's awesome!" Then, I come to my senses. Could there be a way to have the awesomeness of the Saints without the struggle and pain that they went through? I really don't think so. It seems that in order for God's love to flow through us or in us we have to move out of the way. Blessed Mother Teresa says it well, "It is very important for us to realize that  love, to be true, has to hurt. I must be willing to give whatever it takes not to harm other people and, in fact, to do good to them. This requires that I be willing to give until it hurts. Otherwise there is no true love in me, and I bring injustice, not peace, to those around me." But, I think in the greatness of the Father's love, there is hope.

Like a tea bag changes water during steeping, so, too, do we change while God is pouring his love in. In order to get the flavor of the tea just right, the water has to be purified and hot. Any sediment would change the structure of the brewed tea. The cloud of tea reacting with the water would not be able to flow freely throughout the cup. Tea doesn't brew very well in cold water, so even the water has to be brought into the right temperature. If we are to allow God to love us, then his love must be able to flow through us; love seeks others, seeks love…wants to give of itself. That means that any sediment has to be removed, and we might need to be heated to let that happen -enter the Holy Spirit enkindling heat for God's love- This chemical reaction, love of God penetrating our inner being can be scary. It can hurt to have to remove all that stuff that has settled. But, if we don't, like Mother T says, we risk reaching out for others selfishly, not out of loving with God's love, but loving others with even just a twinge of what we might get out of it. Therefore, the pain is worth it.

So, this completely giving over is tough. Sure God is with us, but the thought of tearing out, to be freely his can makes me not want to let him. I know that he loves me and will take care of me, but my heart can be stubborn and want to keep things ‘surfacey’. But, where's the love in that? Where's the joy in that? ‘Surfacey’ living is stale, cold, and lifeless, and we were meant to be on fire! So, I offer my stubborn heart, ask for grace and cling to him for dear life.


1 comment:

  1. I love the tea analogy. I think it's a great way to represent (in a very simple and easy to follow way) the influence that God's love has in our lives. And how by the addition of his love, we become an entirely new creation... we are able to reach our real human potential to love and exemplify his love in our actions.

    ReplyDelete