Sunday, December 28, 2014

A Warm Welcome II

I arrive in Assisi around 10pm. It's cold, bone chilling, especially for this Texan. Two others get off the train, an elegant, older woman and a priest. We miss the bus by 5 minutes, so the woman is calling about a taxi. No answer at any of the numbers. Lack of sleep has caught up to me, so all I can do is just stand there...praying for a taxi to pull up. Finally, thankfully, one does. The woman and priest tell me to get in. They'll share it with me! The taxi drops me off, I go to pay the driver, and the woman points to herself and says, 'No, me. Bounasera!' Wow! 

I walk up the hill to my hotel and walk in. The man behind the desk, calls me by name...then says the words that no one likes to hear.."We have un problemo." Apparently, that day, they lost all heat...no heat in rooms and no hot water. No Bueno. I was really looking forward to staying in this particular hotel, so I thought..here it is, now the tough part starts. But he continues, "but it's no problem...I have a room for you at four star hotel across the way. I take you there in my car right now." This man. He waited for me, I was delayed from even the delayed time that I had already warned them about. All so he could welcome me and take me to the other hotel. The hotel was great, but I was still a little bummed because I had so wanted to stay at the other one. But, then came breakfast. 

To say that I have food issues is an understatement. I have allergies with allergies. When I come to breakfast buffets, there's usually not a lot for me because it's all bread, whole eggs, and fruit that I can't have. But this! This was a feast to behold AND partake in. They had gluten free bread (that I could eat) fruit that was me-friendly, and decaf coffee! It's like they knew I was coming!  I was taking photos of everything! I then found a table with a view of the hills and valley started eating and just laughing. I delighted in that breakfast. What a gift!
I feel loved and welcomed. The Lord has brought little things here and there and dear people with beautiful hearts to ensure that I'm taking care of and feel it, and this is just the first 24 hours. And, this type of hospitality has the hands of a mother all over it. I can't help but feel like Elizabeth in the Gospel of Luke at the Visitation, "Who am I that the mother of my Lord should come and visit me!?" I'm reminded that I don't always allow people to do things for me. I often prefer to do things myself and can get caught up in that. Then, there are those times that I expect things from others or from God. So really, how often have I allowed the Lord to care for me AND embraced it enough to cherish it? I'm sure He has some things that He wants to talk about while I'm here, but for now, I welcome, enjoy, and praise Him for this outpouring of generosity and undeserved love, which has brought me so much peace and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment