Wednesday, December 17, 2014

A Warm Welcome Part I

"He will rejoice over you with gladness and renew you in his love" Zeph. 3:14-18
The Lord has called me to go to Assisi, Italy. He set it up and provided the means to go. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so here I am. Before embarking on this adventure, I didn't know what to expect. The entire month up to the weekend before I left had been CRAZY...really the past 6 months have just been out of whack, although they were also filled with much grace and healing. So as per usual, things pick up in the drama category before I'm about to go on a pilgrimage. Now, to explain, this is different from getting ready to go on a trip. Things can be stressful running errands, taking care of last minute details, etc, but this kind of drama hits you in a different place. It strikes you in your heart. I was feeling personally unsuccessful and out of sorts spiritually. All that and the fact that the Lord basically put this getaway together, had me preparing myself for some sort of surgery. However, day one comes and hits me in a different way, a pleasantly peaceful different way.

I'm struck by how personal our Lord is. We all talk about His love and that He loves us, but He loves me...and you...not just the whole lot of us...each of us. He knows each of us, our hearts, desires, and what makes us smile...what we delight in. He's the ultimate Lover, in the most honorable, intimate form of the word.

Have you ever visited someone's home and felt as if they knew you were coming? Like they bought your favorite cereal, or knew that you drank only decaf coffee. They went out of their way to make sure you were comfortable and felt special. As my Host for this adventure, The Lords has done likewise. 

It started in Rome. I had set up guides through one friend, but it didn't work out. The Lord had other plans. He worked through a priest friend to connect me with one of his priest friends to meet and guide me for the afternoon. As soon as we met up, he handed me an umbrella because it was supposed to rain and a bus ticket. Then he switched backpacks with me because I had my heavy hiking backpack. (I was supposed to be the one getting doing/things for him because he was offering his time!)  He took time out of his day to walk me to St. Peter's, the fountains, everywhere, asked questions for me, and really took the time to personalize the 'tour.' We had easy conversation, and it all made me feel like I was welcome. At the end of the day, he made I sure that I got to the right train to take to Assisi. 


No comments:

Post a Comment